File a Complaint about a Lawyer in New Mexico

You may file a free complaint about a lawyer or against a person or entity you allege is practicing law in New Mexico without a license in one of three ways: 

  1. Complete the complaint form online.
  2. Download print a PDF complaint form and mail or fax it to us.    
  3. Call the Board at (505) 842-5781 and request a complaint form be sent to you.

To learn how complaints against lawyers are processed in New Mexico please see:


Complaint Against an Attorney Form


Formulario de Queja del Abogado


Unauthorized Practice Complaint Form


Formulario de Práctica no Autorizada

Lawyer Complaint Forms FAQ

Here are some frequently asked questions about filing a complaint against a lawyer in New Mexico with the Disciplinary Board.

Are there any fees or costs to filing a complaint form?

The filing of a complaint with the Disciplinary Board costs nothing to the complainant and is always free.

The Disciplinary Board is funded through fees paid annually by lawyers as part of the State Bar dues assessed against attorneys licensed in this state. The Disciplinary Board is not supported by taxes or other public money.

How can I submit my complaint form?

You may submit the complaint form online through this website, or in the mail, or by fax.

Please complete the form and mail or fax it along with any supporting documents to:
2440 Louisiana NE, Suite 280, 
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110 

Fax this form to 505-766-6833

What complaint form should I submit?

Complete the Complaint Against Attorney form for any of these reasons :

  • Delay or lack of diligence
  • Failing to communicate
  • Misrepresentation/false statements
  • Revealing confidences
  • Refusing to return your files or papers
  • Conflict of interest
  • Not following your instructions
  • Lack of competence
  • Improper handling of your money or property/attorney fees
  • Not keeping you informed of progress on your case

Complete the Unauthorized Practice form if you believe the person/entity is not licensed to practice law in New Mexico.

What happens after I submit a complaint?

All submitted forms go through our formal Disciplinary Process. See our Disciplinary Process page for more details.

Where can I search for complaints?

You can search our Public Records for disciplinary actions or call our office to help you search for an attorney or disciplinary action at 505.842.5781.

Gavel icon

Disciplinary Process

We’ve created a comprehensive step-by-step guide so you can know what happens when a complaint is filed.

Legal Document Icon

Quarterly Reports

View our quarterly reports to learn about the activity of the Disciplinary Board of the New Mexico Supreme Court.